KUALA LUMPUR: Pay serious attention to safety when using mobile phones following a number of reported incidents.
Federation of Malaysian Consumers Associations (Fomca) president Dr Marimuthu Nadason gave this advice when commenting on the reported death of a 19-year-old in Melaka on Friday, Bernama reported.
His mother found him in his room at 7am with his headphones on and his phone being charged using a power bank. There were burn marks on his shoulder. He had apparently gone to sleep with his earphones on the previous night.
Police are unsure whether he was electrocuted and whether a power bank can electrocute a person.
Marimuthu said handphone users must ensure that the battery charger and the mobile phone are genuine.
He said switching off the mobile phone while charging would also mean giving the device a break from being used continuously as a communication tool to watch movies, play games or surf social networking sites.
Bernama said previously, on Aug 25 last year, a cameraman suffered burns on his left thigh when a power bank placed in his bag suddenly caught fire while he was working in the federal capital.
Another case involved a 27-year-old boat skipper who suffered injuries to his hands and face after his mobile phone that was being charged suddenly exploded on April 23, 2016 in an incident in Yan, Kedah.
Source : 28/5/17 Free Malaysia Today